Monday, January 10, 2005

hmmmm. I feel the need to explain my economic position in life. I don't know if there are lots of others my age that find themselves in this position or not... I have made life decisions that were outside the scope of the average...like having ten children.

Most all my life I have lived in the lower middle class and a few times during job layoffs and such dipped into where I probably would have qualified for welfare -if I hadn't been so set against it. I just don't like exchanging human dignity for a few bucks.... not unless the kids were out and out starving. then, I would've been on food stamps and such, but it was my blessing to not have to go to that extremity. What I did have was enough of the experiential taste of that to have some compassion for those on the receiving end of the helping hand and strong opinions on how one should give.

My dad had a good enough job, but he was very frugal. OK, He was stingy, and not only that, but he liked to put us, his family, into a sort of social experiment lab. Living like the "other half", even though he made decent money. I don't begrudge that, it caused me to know how to tighten my belt and squeeze blood from rocks when that is necessary. It parlayed into being able to raise our large family on a very tight shoestring of a one-worker home. One breadwinner -mybad. And he did have some savings, which after he willed over half to some strange woman, left something for his kids. Me being one. That is where the stock came from, and that is why I can talk about that now.

Anyway.... I will never be a luxurious consumer, and won't impress you with my fab wardrobe, which is still mainly second-hand from my sister- she does have good taste, though:) these are most likely good things, and I am one of those people who mourn the end of "you can't tell a book by its cover" sorts of adages.

I do however strongly have faith in the scriptures which say
Psalm 37:25
I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.


I expect that my God will supply my needs. I just don't limit the manner that he will do this..... I am grateful for his timing and his faithfulness.

0 comments: